This workshop is also called “Livestock for Small Farms“.
This workshop is for those planning on raising livestock on a small farm or in a larger suburban backyard. From chooks in the backyard to alpacas on a small farm (and lots in between). Livestock can be rewarding in many ways. This Workshop caters especially for the beginner, with only a small group so that individual needs can be met. It is run in an informal atmosphere with ample opportunity to handle the animals, ask questions, and take photos.
Please wear comfortable outdoor clothing, shoes and hat, and bring your lunch, a notebook & pen, and a camera if you like. Morning tea is provided.
Depending on the students interests, topics include:
- Husbandry and management –where to start and what to expect.
- Conventional and alternate livestock
- Care, handling and management (including feeding, vaccinating, worming etc) of:
- Poultry – chooks, bantams, ducks, geese, turkeys
- Horses and donkeys
- Beef cattle, Dairy cattle & goats
- Alpacas and llamas
- How to find the livestock of your choice, and what to look for as a buyer
- Agistment (boarding livestock)
- How to make a hobby farm viable
- Choosing your farm – what to look for… and lots more.